Support Commander Holley's Special Project for his year, Boys State.
The Boys State Committee is hosting a golf outing in September to benefit the program. If you are a golfer or if your squadron will considered being a sponsor, visit http://michiganboysstate.org/golf-outing.
Founded in 1932, Sons of The American Legion exists to honor the service and sacrifice of Legionnaires.
Sons of the American Legion members include males of all ages whose parents or grandparents served in the U.S. military and were eligible for American Legion membership. Members of The American Legion, American Legion Auxiliary and Sons of The American Legion comprise the Legion Family, which has a combined membership of nearly 4.2 million.
Although Sons has its own membership, the organization is not a separate entity. Rather, S.A.L. is a program of The American Legion. Many Legionnaires hold dual membership in S.A.L.
- A "squadron" is a S.A.L. program at the local American Legion Post level
- A "detachment" is a S.A.L. program at the American Legion Department (State) level
- The officer structure is similar to the American Legion Post and Department, with commanders, adjutants, etc.
How do you find a S.A.L. Squadron?
Step 1: Find an American Legion Post near you with a S.A.L Squadron program - Find a Post
Step 2: If the parent or grandparent is still living and is eligible to join the American Legion, they must become a member first. If the parent or grandparent is deceased proof of their service needs to be brought with the membership application. If you need to order a DD-214 discharge record of the Veteran visit www.archives.gov/veterans.
Step 3: Fill out an application for membership, with the Veterans DD-214, and money to pay the squadron dues (they vary from squadron to squadron).
What is the next step?
- Find out when the squadron meeting is and attend.
- Get to know the members in the squadron.
- Find out what community programs they participate in.
- Volunteer with them.
- Find out what help the American Legion Post needs help with and get involved there.